Shopee reaches out to grandma who accidentally burned ₱14,000 life savings

Shopee has reached out to the 95-year-old woman from Nueva Ecija who went viral online recently after accidentally burning her life savings while cooking rice in her traditional stove. The top e-commerce site in the country has teamed up with a number of brands on Shopee Mall to provide assistance of various forms to Honorata Gahis.

Through Shopee’s initiative, Kyowa gave the grandma a rice cooker and electric water pot. Another brand, Tough Mama, gave her a gas stove and a box of fan. Tekno Philippines sent a table oven and gas stove. The brands hoped the essential cooking tools could make the old woman’s life easier.

“For a lot of our loyal shoppers, Shopee is where they get the things they need the most, and for Lola Honorata, we took that one step further by seeking her out and helping where we could,” said Shopee Philippines Director Martin Yu. “We would like to thank Kyowa, Tough Mama, and Tekno for their generosity and for supporting Shopee’s mission as we reach out to Lola Honorata.”

A concerned netizen uploaded the video of the grandma, who burned her 14 ₱1,000-bills while keeping the fire in her stove. The viral video was originally intended to ask Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas if the central bank could still replace the burned bills. It was then featured in the popular TV show ‘Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho.”